not skywalker

my name is anika. a-nick-a. not a-neek-a ... and yes, people HAVE told me before that it's like annikin skywalker. but i'm not.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Why It's Good To Make Lists ...

... Because sometimes God gives you exactly what you ask for! ... About a month-ish before I met Jason, I wrote a list of things I wanted in a man, from the seemingly trivial (likes beer) to the absolutely essential (loves Jacob). After I had been dating Jason for a bit I looked back and realized that he was every single thing on the list!!! ...

Observe:

When I asked God to give me a man that looks good in a hat, he gave me you. Sometimes you wear the oldest smelliest hat that you stole from your buddy. But you still look cute. And you don’t even need to wear a hat because (tanks God!) you’re not balding! You also have luscious blonde curls when your hair is long that every girl would be envious of.

When I asked God for a man tall enough for me to wear high heels with, he gave me you. Even though (depending on the shoes) I’m sometimes as tall as you when I wear heels, you like me to wear them and you like me to look cute and when I make an effort to look good, you let me know.

When I asked God for a man that my step-dad likes, little did I know he would give me a man my step-dad practically likes more than me! I love that you and him get along and have become such good friends. I love that you go to him to talk and that your relationship with him came so easily.

When I asked God for a man who is fatter than me (and by 'fatter' I don't mean 'fat'. I just mean someone who's not skinnier than me), God gave me you. You are bigger than me and (hopefully) always will be. I fit perfectly in your strong arms. I like snuggling into your chest. You are a man’s man and your body shows it.

When I asked God for a man who likes beer (but isn’t an alcoholic), he gave me you. I like that you like beer every once in awhile. I enjoy sharing a beer with you or having a glass of wine with dinner {well, except for now that I'm pregnant!}.

When I asked God for a man who is happy in pictures, he gave me you. We have so many great pictures documenting our journey together. And we have an equal number of pictures that make me laugh my head off when I see them, they’re so funny. Remember the toothpaste one? The bloody one? All the mocking ones? We have so much fun, don’t we?

When I asked God for a man who Jacob loves so much, he gave you to us. One week in you gave him your hockey cards. When you first met, he was in flannel pjs in the summer. He immediately loved you and made the transition to calling you daddy very easily. It was beautiful. And now he is your boy and you are his dad. What a lovely family I have, so full of love.

When I asked God for a man who makes me laugh (but not just in a polite you-were-trying-to-be-funny-so-here's-a-pity-laugh kind of way), God gave me you – the funniest man I have ever met in my life. You are funny and you always have a way of making me smile. We have inside jokes and things that only we think are funny (we KNOW they’re funny). I have never laughed as much as when I am with you. We have a good time together.

When I asked God to give me a man who likes to spend money (like me … and on me), he gave me you. You like the occasional spurge, but you are also smart with money, which is a bonus! You surprise me and show me how much you love me and think about me. I appreciate it.

When I asked God for a man who has the same spiritual and moral beliefs, he gave me you. I like that we believe fervently in the same things, but that we also challenge each other to know why we believe the things we do.

When I asked God to give me a man who loves hockey (and fights in hockey), he gave me you. Your loyalty to your hockey team is so great (even though you guys always lose). Even when you lose your mind on that guy -- whatever his name was -- I am proud of you. I love that you are coaching Jacob’s team this year – it has been such a blessing for him, he really loves it. Unfortunately, however, you like the Edmonton Oilers and for that you are a sucka.

When I asked God for a man who wants four more kids, he gave me you. We are one and a half down, two and a half to go!

When I asked God to give me a man who is protective and who will stick up for Jacob and I, he gave me you. You are definitely protective and offer your support no matter the situation. We definitely always feel safe with you on our side.

When I asked God for a man who my sis doesn’t have to be wary of, he gave you to me. My whole family loves you and loved you right from the start. I love the closeness we have with each others’ families (exception, of course, my sperm donor and your 'sister').

When I asked God to give me a man who is sensitive (but doesn’t cry all the time) he gave me you. I love that you are sensitive and care. The majority of the stories you tell me about being a kid involve crying, though. And this makes me laugh.

When I asked God to give me a man who thinks I’m beautiful (even when I don’t feel beautiful), he gave me you. I’m not sure why, but you do. With no makeup on and an old t-shirt and pajama bottoms, I feel beautiful when you tell me that I am. And when I make an effort to look good, you let me know. I really appreciate that.

When I asked God for a man who is not selfish, he gave me you. I appreciate the fact that you are generous with your time, your money, your love and your things. You are helpful and kind and you are good at making others feel important.

When I asked God for a man whose mom doesn’t make him lunch every day even when he’s in his 30s, he gave me you. Tanks God you didn’t live at home when I met you. And I’m pretty sure your mom would tell you to feck right off if you asked her to do that.

When I asked God for a man who doesn’t need big toys to compensate for other things, he gave me you. Our biggest toy is probably our car. And let's face it, we need a minivan.

When I asked God to give me a man who means what he says (and doesn’t just bs me all the time), he gave me you. I appreciate your honesty and the fact that I can take what you say at face value because you are truthful and transparent.

When I asked God to give me a man who does what he says he’s going to do (and isn’t all talk), he gave me you. Even in the beginning of our relationship you said you would make me a real stop sign and you did! This impressed me.

When I asked God for a man who is truthful, he gave me you. Thank you for not lying to me and for being honest and upfront. I love knowing you and I love that you know me. You are my best little friend.

When I asked God to give me a man who is not a quitter or a loser, he gave you to me. You persevere and keep going, even when life is hard. And you are definitely not a loser. You are a great man and I believe in you with my whole heart. You are my one true love and I love you.



Dear God,

You really pulled through for me, giving me a completely amazing man that fits all the criteria (even the kind of arbitrary ones, like 'likes beer.'). That's pretty damn cool. Thank you so crazily much. I sowed in tears and reaped in laughter, hey? I like.

Love, Anika

[from August 2006]

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww... That is sweet. I can picture perfectly in my mind the time you guys came down here and had been to the EMP in Seattle. You both laughed so damn hard at stuff that you had done. I couldn't help but think you had found "the one" then.

March 24, 2009 8:31 PM  
Blogger anika said...

Oh that's so lovely Shari. Being at your house for a visit is one of my best memories. We had so much fun with you and your girls!

March 25, 2009 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home