not skywalker

my name is anika. a-nick-a. not a-neek-a ... and yes, people HAVE told me before that it's like annikin skywalker. but i'm not.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Luckier than the Average Duck ...

My sister and I had never been close -- we were five years apart growing up, and that five years became like a canyon that separated us and showed us how vastly different our experiences were of many things in our early life ... In the relationship we each had with our father, in the relationship each of us had with our step-dad, in the things we did in high school, in our choices, in our hurts, and in our accomplishments.

While I was struggling to keep my head above water when our father decided to leave our family, she was just learning the alphabet ...
While I was navigating the dangerous terrain of living between mom's and dad's, she seemed to be effortlessly bounced back and forth ...
While I tried to reconcile in my mind the longing for and hatred towards our father, she was going out for Beers (root beer) with our step-dad ...
She was still playing with Barbies when I had my first baby ...

It's not her fault, she was just younger and had extremely different experiences than I did. But understandably, this made it very difficult for us to see eye to eye, or to even relate to each other very much at all ...

Now that we have grown, now that we have healed, we are relating to each other in a way that I never thought was possible. It started in small steps, but now that she is getting married and I have had my second son, we are finding more and more that we have in common.
We have become friends and have found that we have a bond that only sisters can have.

She is my best friend and I love her so much. What a blessing a sister is.



How do people make it through life without a sister? ~Sara Corpening

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home