not skywalker

my name is anika. a-nick-a. not a-neek-a ... and yes, people HAVE told me before that it's like annikin skywalker. but i'm not.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish!

Fish are a strange pet to have. They always seem like a great idea. They seem fun. You think you'll be happy to have fish.

But then -- you can't even pet them. You can't interact with them. They're most of the time boring to watch. They die all the time. And who wants to clean the tank?

Jacob had fish when he was three or four. Three fish. I told him that he could name them and he did: House, Fence and Dad. I don't think he really got the gist of naming things. One day he brought me a baby bottle with all three fish inside it. All three!
"How did you do that?! How did you get all three of them inside there?!" I asked.
"Easy," he replied, "I just caught them with my hands."
Eventually the novelty of the fish wore off and we got rid of them. Jacob didn't even notice.

A couple years later we got him more fish. He loved them. And when they died I kept buying more before he could notice that one had died.
"Look how much he grew!!" Jacob would exclaim.

We ended up with one fish. And nobody cared.
Until.
The fish died. He was floating near the top. Sideways. We were busy and lazy and nobody really wanted to clean up the stupid mess. And it's a good thing we didn't.

Because the fish rose again!!! We re-named him Jesus.
And soon the novelty wore off again and we gave him away. Jacob didn't even notice for two weeks.

Now he wants a puppy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

I LOVE LAMP!

October 02, 2008 12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home