not skywalker

my name is anika. a-nick-a. not a-neek-a ... and yes, people HAVE told me before that it's like annikin skywalker. but i'm not.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

My Mom Is The Kind Of Mom ...

That is kind to everyone, even when they don't deserve it.
That battled breast cancer when she was fifty. And she overcame. And she was the most gorgeous bald woman I have ever seen.
That told Jason there wasn't enough dinner for him when he had his first ever family dinner with us -- and he believed her.
That is super-sensitive and will cry at almost any beautiful story.
That loves her grandkids SO much. She is SUCH an amazing grandmother.
That is generous with her time and likes to make us feel special.
That gets a little bit ditzy when she's had too much wine.
That is so beautiful, but never sees in herself the glowingness of her inner and outer beauty.
That always has hope, no matter what.
That loves her son-in-laws.
That used to wear mom-jeans, but has blossomed into a middle-aged woman with grace. She's stylish, even!
That loves coming over to visit.
That tells me I'm being over-sensitive when she doesn't agree with my frustration.
That gets her husband to pick up wine from the liquor store because she doesn't want her students' parents to see her there.
That has a certain 'laugh' when she doesn't actually think it's that funny. It's kind of like a 'lol' -- I love that laugh.
That makes everyone feel welcome.
That works late to do an amazing job, even though she doesn't get overtime.
That encourages me when I feel like I've hit rock bottom.
That, when my sperm donor was telling her he had had an affair (and was for some reason giving her details about it), my mom threw a fork at the sink, but it ricocheted out and stuck him in the hand (I am so proud of that moment).

Happy Birthday, Mom, I love you so very much.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww...Happy Birthday Mom! :)

February 04, 2009 7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home